View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 02:38 AM   #454
Graphite
Graphite can extract oil from cheeseGraphite can extract oil from cheeseGraphite can extract oil from cheeseGraphite can extract oil from cheeseGraphite can extract oil from cheeseGraphite can extract oil from cheeseGraphite can extract oil from cheeseGraphite can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle DXG
I am glad to see that an e-ink screen monitor is being developed and I would be very interested in being among the first to buy it, or even in using a prototype for testing/feedback.

I use the computer a lot with an LCD screen and several months ago I was looking for a newer monitor that would be easier on the eyes. After much research I selected a good LED screen that does not have the rapid flickering (PWM) and can be dimmed right down (I find many monitors too bright even on the lowest brightness setting). However I found that I was significantly more fatigued with the new screen. As edddh explained it is very likely to be the blue light issue. I've had to return the LED screen and go back to the old LCD, choosing "the lesser of two evils".

Aside from gaming and watching video, a significant part of my computer use is e-mail, web browsing, reading and writing. I would love to have an e-ink display that I can use for these purposes and have an easy way of switching to LCD for gaming/video. Perhaps a keyboard shortcut that can disable one screen and enable another. Or potentially having a displayport IN and OUT on the e-ink display with a switch button at the front. Pressing this button could power off the e-ink and redirect the signal to the OUT port, effectively changing the monitor on the same cable and forcing the OS to quickly reconfigure from one display to another.

I imagine that I would use both screens fairly equally, perhaps the e-ink even a bit more than LCD. I do not have severe symptoms with the LCD screen but I am very keen to have something that is easier on the eyes. For users like me, fast and easy switching between two screens would be an important feature.

Another suggestion is to ensure that this monitor does not generate electro-pollution to also make it the ultimate choice for electro-hypersensitive people. There are four main types of electro-pollution:
- Electromagnetic Fields (EMF)
- Electric Fields (ELF)
- Radiofrequency Radiation (RFR)
- "Dirty Electricity"
The main concern in this case would be the power supply used in the monitor. I'd be happy to explain how to test for all of these things.
Graphite is offline   Reply With Quote