View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #26
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I've seen discussion of security concerns, too, which if valid, would have been at least easier to swallow. But they're not either.
I've seen them too, but they seem to be made by people who didn't read the Google documentation.

From the Google documentation about this change (bolding mine):
-----
The WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission must only grant write access to the primary external storage on a device. Apps must not be allowed to write to secondary external storage devices, except in their package-specific directories as allowed by synthesized permissions. Restricting writes in this way ensures the system can clean up files when applications are uninstalled.
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Merely that particular form of evil that I've long associated with Apple and Microsoft, in making corporate decisions that appear to be needlessly greedy and/or against the best interests of the user community and the state of the art.
I guess I don't see how these changes are greedy. Google is trying to get better press by locking down the OS more so that people will stop talking about how it is filled with malware. I don't agree with the way they are doing it, but you can hardly call it greedy.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote