View Single Post
Old 11-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
ShellShock
Guru
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & PRS-650, Kobo Glo & Aura HD
[Old Thread] RTF and Table of Contents

Hi

I've been happilly converting RTF to LRF using the fantastic Calibre.

One thing puzzles me - if it is possible to generate a table of contents?

Initially I didn't have any headings in the text, so in the LRF file one chapter led straight into the next.

So in Word I then marked all the chapter headings using the Word Heading 1 style. After Calibre had converted the RTF to LRF, I now had page breaks before each chapter. This seems to suggest that Calibre was able to detect the chapter headings correctly.

But I cannot get the "Add chapters to table of contents" option to work.

Is this supposed to create a TOC even if one does not exist already in the RTF?

I have also tried using Word to insert a TOC into the RTF - in Word 2003: Insert -> Reference -> Index and Tables -> Table of Contents -> Untick "Show Page Numbers". I then converted the RTF using Calibre; this has a couple of problems:

All the links in ToC in the LRF file jump to the first page of the document (The links work OK in Word).
There is two blank lines between each row in the ToC.

I will continue to play around with this but any help would be appreciated.

I realise that Word puts A LOT of "helpful" tags around headings that probably are not necessary. I imagine this makes Calibre's job very difficult - trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Thanks
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote