View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Asynchronous execution on DR800/1000 to capture screenshots

I had been wondering for a while how to take screenshots of what's on the screen of DR800/1000 readers, but since I've only seen them in developer's posts, I guess this is not very common for 'normal' users. Well, I've found screenshots can be terribly useful at times to swap stuff with my buddies, and they're so much better than screen photos...

After doing some research, turns out anyone using (edit: not the enhanced Mackxpatch nor DR800+, but this ->) FBReader by Mackx and Iñigo has a screenshot utility installed as part of their required core package, namely <SDCard>/Programs/_base/bin/fbshot. What a relief!

Now, this is apparently designed to be invoked via an SSH client from a computer when the reader is hooked to an USB port, with the help of some some other program developed here (usbnet?). While all of that is good and well, I'd need to take screenshots of what I'm doing much more often when I'm NOT standing by a computer...

I thought a quick and dirty solution would be to create a shortcut with some hardcoded parameters, i.e. place a text file called say gotcha.desktop, in <SD card>/System/Shortcuts, with this in its guts:
---8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<---
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Delayed (15s) screenshot
Exec=/media/mmcblk0p1/Programs/_base/bin/fbshot -s 15 /media/mmcblk0p1/picture.png
Type=Application
---8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<---

This works, but there's a catch: when you execute fbshot from the ctb like this, it is apparently started in synchronous mode, so even if you switch to what you were doing, the ctb displays its 'wait' 'dialog' while waiting for fbshot to do whatever it expects, so any pics you take will include the sign on top (see attachment). Not very nice, ¿uh?

I suppose I can get hands on to this at some point, but that may take a long, long time. Meanwhile, does any charitable soul out there know if there's a way to execute this fbshot applet via a shortcut without the ctb displaying its damned 'dialog', or modifying the program? How?

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot on DR800.png
Views:	731
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	121152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot on DR1000.png
Views:	727
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	121153  

Last edited by MrWarper; 04-02-2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: If mods think this rather belongs in the dev's corner, please move it there : )
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote