View Single Post
Old 03-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #85
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
First story of mine up on the Dropbox folder.

I think I can count this one as new - though what I've done so far was completed in late February - and is up there as v0.1. I've also added a critique guideline document as per Katsunami's and a version history document. I'd enjoy seeing a version history for everyone's stories as they progress, letting us know the writer's thoughts to that point.

Graham
Good idea about the version history. You beat me to it, as I don't yet have a version 0.1 That will only be after I finish the actual story

A few comments with regard to using Dropbox (which I will also include in the first post):

- Dropbox has no security as far as I know. Any person invited into the Dropbox folder can see and change any subfolders. Make sure you have a backup of your own folder at least, outside of Dropbox. Mistakes happen. Someone could accidentally delete or change files.
- The above point, and especially the word "accidentally" implies that some care needs to be taken. My suggestion is as follows: if you are going to read other people's documents that can be changed by the software you're using (for example, reading a DOC-file in Microsoft Word), then make a copy of those documents first. Copy the participant's folder to your desktop, for example.
- Don't write the story directly inside the Dropbox folder. Many people have notifications enabled, and each time you save, all other participants will be notified because of the update. Write the story outside of Dropbox, and copy the latest version in there after you're done with your session. Also, someone might open your document just before you intend to edit it, locking it in the process.
- If you are one of the people who will post work in progress versions, you can post them in any format you like, as long as you're reasonably certain that this format can be opened by the other participants.
- The final version that is going to end up in the anthology has to be posted in a format that LibreOffice can open. Preferred formats are ODT/ODF, DOC, DOCX, RTF, TXT. Please don't post your final work as a PDF.

Last edited by Katsunami; 03-05-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote