View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #30
unboggling
by the bootstraps
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2, Nexus 7, KindleT, iPad1, Kindle3KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@BR: If metadata is not being written to PDF files when you save to disk, you have either disabled the PDF metadata writer plugin or disabled updating metadata in saved copies via Preferences->Saving to disk
Ah, forgot about that option. So anyone who doesn't want metadata (including custom) exported in the format can just turn that off. So another of my misconceptions bites the dust.
My previous statements (shown dark orange) are false. Unchecking "update metadata in saved copies" doesn't remove metadata that is already included in the format, it just doesn't update that metadata with any changes since the book was last converted, polished, or ePub Modified. Polish updates the metadata per corresponding field, but doesn't delete then rewrite all of the metadata. So the .opf file in the format (which I assume is what people call the "manifest") can contain old metadata, for example if column(s) have been deleted, it shows the old metadata from the old and gone columns. Until a new conversion. Aside from converting or manually editing that .opf in the format, the only way I found to get rid of "gone column" metadata in EPUB was with Modify ePub "Remove non dc: metadata elements".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
It's not a hack according to my definition of a hack, I'd call it customisation.

Copy the resources/jacket directory from the calibre install directory (where the calibre.exe is) to your calibre configuration folder.

You can then edit template.xhtml to include and exclude columns including custom columns. How To instructions are in the template.xhtml file. You can prettify by customising the stylesheet.css, I don't bother with that as I'm a substance trumps form sort of person.
Thanks for the info. I'd do that, except I so often add, remove, or rename columns, or revise metadata. Jackets are static, reflecting the old metadata.

Quote:
==========

My defn : A hack is something which you have to take care of when it stops working.

My defn : A customisation is adjusting a 'by design' feature using external gadgets (eg text and image editors) for which I would expect some supplier support if a previously working customisation stopped working.
Call it what you will. If the "whatever" doesn't automatically accommodate changes, and has to be modified any time there's a changed column, and doesn't reflect current metadata, what good is it? Though it would be nice to see Comments in the book. But Comments sometimes change too. Would have to remove/add jackets with Polish. Save and Send don't update the jacket. Hmm, I'll have to think about it more.

Quote:
Thanks for the karma - it was that that lead me back here.

BR
You're welcome. And thank you for the karma.

Last edited by unboggling; 02-24-2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: fixed mistakes.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote