View Single Post
Old 10-26-2008, 05:30 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Retina Mini, iPhone 4, MS Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
As for the buying power of a dollar, I disagree with Harry's assessment that it is about the same as the quarter was 30-40 years ago. I feel it is more like the dime's buying power. (A quarter is $0.25, a dime is $0.10.)
You've just raised an issue that really bugs me, Wood - a coin that doesn't tell you what it's actually worth .

When I first visited the US, many years ago, I was completely baffled by this coin that just said "ONE DIME" on it. Nowhere does it tell you what this mysterious "Dime" is actually worth in terms of cents.

I'm sure that's something that would never even occur to people who've grown up with US currency, but believe me, it can baffle poor ignorant tourists like me .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote