View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014, 01:12 AM   #20
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@unboggling: custom column metadata is written to EPUB....
Huh. Thanks. That's another assumption exploded. I guess I didn't notice the custom column metadata in EPUBs because rather than "read metadata from file contents" I nearly always add books using a regular expression to parse author, series, and title. So that assumption is killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@BR: pdfinfo is not really designed to be launched standalone only as part of calibre, which is why you need to install the dlls it requires separately to use it standalone. If you want to read metadata from pdf files with calibre tools use:

ebook-meta file.pdf

and to read the raw XMP metadata from the pdf file use

calibre-debug -c 'from calibre.utils.podofo import get_xmp_metadata; print get_xmp_metadata("file.pdf")'

Though note that XMP metadata is UTF-8 encoded and the windows console cannot handle arbitrary UTF-8 encoded text streams.
Thanks. Both of those work for me on OS X. So that confusion is resolved.

(rummaging around the backbrain for additional assumptions and confusions to expose and eliminate, since we're on a roll....)

Last edited by unboggling; 02-22-2014 at 01:24 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote