View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ubuntu Linux, Cybook Opus, Motorola Xoom with Mantano Premium
Move the calibre library to SSD.

But don't expect too much...

I have a pretty sweet setup with a hybrid filesystem using bcache in Ubuntu 13.10 with 200 GB SATA 3 SSD write-back cache for two 3TB 7200RPM SATA 3 harddrives. So the entire library can be cached on SSD at once. It is a relatively new setup, I am still tweaking it. I may test to move the metadata.db - files to pure SSD.

While I copy 100 books to another large library, on the same partition, the CPU-usage by calibre is 6-7% on average (8 core AMD Bulldozer) and the CPU never even clocks up to full speed. If I copy to a new and empty library even less, around 4% CPU-usage.

But it still takes close to 5 minutes to copy 100 books. (3 custom text columns, no calculated columns, several virtual libraries, if that matter). If I copy to a new empty library it is one or two minutes faster.

If I copy the folder with the library with 100 books to another place using the filemanager, it is instantaneous. It is only around 40MB after all. So I assume that it is all the database updating and creation of folders and so on, that takes time?

Edit: I tested with both source and destionation metadata.db on pure SSD. It was a little faster, around 2 1/2 minutes. Not enough for me to bother. It is fast enough as it is...

Last edited by Adoby; 02-21-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote