View Single Post
Old 04-27-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note3, MBA, DVP11
Will major content become mobile-only?

As we see content moving to cell phones and other mobile devices, the potential business benefits are going to grow. Unfortunately, we may see the day that mobile interest causes content is availble on mobile devices, but not regular channels such as television. Or even worse, we might see content only available on particular wireless networks. Oh wait, it's already happened!

According to Engadget Mobile, "... Sprint has exclusive wireless rights to the draft while Monday Night Football rights-holder ESPN is barred from streaming the broadcast to its Mobile ESPN subscribers..." Yikes! This reminds me of the first days of ESPN coverage of Sunday night football, and I couldn't see the games because I didn't have cable.

Imagine if sporting events show up only on particular wireless networks. Instead of getting they guys together for the latest pay-per-view television championship boxing event, you might be getting together with your cell phone screen propped up on a little table by the chips and dip, with everyone gathered around squinting at the screen!

Okay, so that's an exaggeration, and the best content is generally going to reach consumers more and more with the improvement of technology. But it is a fact that wireless providers will be looking for ways to distinguish their content from others, so if you are on the "wrong" network, then you might just miss out of a few things.