View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
It wouldn't cost me any more to have the wi-fi switched on; except the cost of a visit from Virgin, but I don't want to have this done.
Why not? Have the guy put an easy to remember key in it, and you're done. I only use Wifi for my tablet and phone; the rest of my network is cabled too. No headaches whatsoever.

Quote:
I don't want to keep popping over to a friend's house to nick their wi-fi each time I add a book to a collection. Sure way to lose a friend!
I hope this isn't going to be a major issue. Can I create the collections using Calibre and put them onto the reader?
No you can't. Calibre cannot put collections onto the Kindle, unless you jailbreak it and install the Collections Manager onto the device.

To be honest, the Kindle is the very WORST e-reader to buy if you want maximum freedom and customization. It's totally geared toward the Amazon eco-system.

There are three reasons to buy the Kindle:

1. You like the Amazon eco-system and use it to it's fullest.
2. Because of the Amazon support.
3. Because of the very stable firmware.

For me, reason 3 was the one to choose the Kindle over a Kobo (at the time of my purchase), but I don't use the Amazon eco-system. It basically comes down to it that you need to disable everything (Wifi, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads...), don't use collections, and just put some books onto the reader to read, just as you would do with a very old-fashioned reader.

That is exactly what I do. I positively hate social networks, and I don't care about organisational features, so I disable everything. The readers are not powerful enough to handle organisation the way I want to. I treat the reader as an electronic book, not as a library. That means I put one book on it to read, and a few possible followups.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-17-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote