View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Katsunami
Wizard
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Do you split omnibuses into separate books?

Easy question: Yes, sometimes, Never?

Everybody knows and loves the Kobo discount codes. Some go as high as 80%. Using such codes, I aim to buy omnibuses: the larger, the better. For example:

The Dune Collection (6 books)
The Collected Abercrombie (6 books)
The Complete Malazan Book of the Fallen (10 books!)
The Dresden Files 1-6 and 7-12

And so on.

That way, when spending one code, I can effectively get a discount on 3 to 10 books at once, and I'm not even mentioning that the omnibus is often cheaper than the seperate books already.

However, omnibuses have one very big problem: it's impossible to mark a book as read, and I've decided that I finally want to track year by year which books I've read; in Calibre, so I can exclude read books when picking a new one, see in which year(s) I (re)read a book, and that sort of stuff.

This is my main reason for splitting up omnibuses using EPUBSplit. Then I fill out the metadata of each book, stick the correct cover on the front (Google it), so I can mark the book read accurately.

There is one exception: I don't split up Delphi Classics. These omnibuses are huge, and sometimes, they are updated, so I'd need to split them again (and again... and again...). If I read a book from such an omnibus, I create an empty book, fill that out, and mark it as read. In the comments section, I refer to the omnibus the book is actually in.

(Splitting a book and creating an empty one, and then filling them out, costs roughly the same amount of time.)

So... do you split? Always? If not too big? Never?

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-17-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote