View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #34
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Maybe you need to drop a hand full of $1 coins in it to make up for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
But I like those! I like to use them as part of a tip at restaurants. No real reason for it, I just find it amusing.
My hubby and I are $1 coin advocates. We have a standing order at our bank for 4 rolls of dollars at the beginning of each month. We use every opportunity to spend them and get them into circulation. They are used for tips when we eat lunch. At one local restaurant, one of the waitresses actually asks us to sit in her section so she can get more dollar coins. I use them when I dash into a convenience store to purchase a soft drink. All those small purchase where you'd either pull out a stack of ones or rummage in your pockets for $.89.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Here in the UK we have a 1 and a 2 coin (our smallest note is 5) and the same is true in the Euro-zone countries too - 1 and 2 coins.

Whenever I visit the US I must admit that I find having to use $1 bills for such small value transactions is inconvenient; personally I find coins to be more convenient. There don't seem to be very many $2 bills around either, which makes it even more awkward.

Any idea why there's resistance to a $1 coin? It would seem to be very sensible. After all, you've had 25c coins for goodness knows how long, and 30 or 40 years ago that had the same "buying power" as $1 does today.
I think the major resistance comes from people who haven't had the experience of living for any period of time without $1 bills. It is highly likely that when I spend a $1 coin in a store that the store will *not* give it back as change. So unless someone actively seeks out the coins, they'll never see one. (Well, unless she's Natch's waitress or mine.) And the lobby to keep the $1 bill is from those folks who invested so much money in developing and deploying the "dollar bill" thingies on vending machines. Every time I've tried, the machines have accepted the $1 coins, so that wouldn't be an issue, but I think that people don't know that most vending machines are ready to accept the coins. I haven't tried throwing the $1 coins in a toll basket, but I regularly use them at the manned toll booths in NY and NJ.

Funny story. About 15 years ago when we lived in Orlando, the toll on the East-West Expressway went up from $.50 to $.75. I drove up to the manned toll booth and handed the toll-taker a Susan B Anthony dollar. She snarled at me "it's 75 cents!". I just smiled sweetly and said, "yes, and I'm waiting for my change." She hadn't really looked at the coin and assumed that I had given her a single quarter. The new "gold" color introduced with the Sacajawea dollars and now being used for the US President's series make it much easier to visually identify the coin as "not a quarter". Unfortunately, the US still doesn't have a good system to assist the sightless. I really like the UK system:
1, 2 are round and copper -- small, large
5,10 are round and silver -- small, large
20, 50 are septagonal and silver -- small, large

(Hmmm... the spell-checker wants me to use heptagonal instead of septagonal. I can see that heptagonal is used more often, but septagonal is still a valid word. Does anyone know the reason why heptagonal would be preferred?)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote