View Single Post
Old 02-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
WillAdams
Guru
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121
Well there's Trevanian's _Shibumi_ --- it hasn't aged well, but has a certain '70s charm.

Agree that anyone interested in Japan should read the fictionalized Musashi books (and _The Book of Five Rings_, and the _Hagakure_, &c.)

When I was a kid I found a couple of books by T. C. Rypel, about a half-white Samurai, Gonji --- the first book was _Deathwind of Vedun_ (I think I had the second and fourth book) --- always meant to find the balance of them.

I've always been fond of _The Cybernetic Samurai_ by Victor Milán --- you pretty much need to read Heinlein's _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_ first (and Minsky's _The Turing Option is a good grounding / contrast) though.

Kara Dalkey's _The Nightingale_ moves the setting to Japan from China and is as well done as the other ``Fairy Tale'' novels.

Neil Gaiman's _Sandman: The Dream Hunters_ is set in Japan and is quite vivid and moving.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote