Thread: TOC with Page #
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post

@Hitch: You make a valid point indeed, same response as I had for Toxaris. However, I do like to note that I came across quite a few word documents with manually made ToCs, I guess because the author does not know MSWord good enough to setup heading and paragraph templates so he/she can use in ToC for later use. So if there is a manual ToC in the document having page number (manually made) is very important, at least in the DOC file.
Sorry, I'm not following what you mean, or what the intent of what you wrote is meant to be? Not at all. Frankly, if the Word file is so badly made that it contains a manually-created TOC, it should be redone, if it's to remain as either a Word file, a basis for an ebook, (if someone is going to upload a Word file to, say, NookPress, SW or KDP) or the basis for an ePDF. I cannot think of any situation in which a manually-created TOC is a better choice, for any reason, other than the off-chance that someone is actually planning on using a Word file for a print layout, which of course, is a bad idea for myriad reasons. Even if that were the case, the TOC could be formatted to not look like a linked TOC, but a "manually-created" TOC...so even then, I see no reason why one would leave it that way.

We see manually created TOC's all the time. We simply delete them from the file, as they serve no purpose whatsoever in our business. We don't use them in making our ePUBs or MOBI's, so no reason to leave them. We create ours on the fly, using Sigil, or if (for some crackpot reason) we have to create a TOC manually, we're creating it in a linked fashion anyway.

So, when you say this:

Quote:
So if there is a manual ToC in the document having page number (manually made) is very important, at least in the DOC file.
I don't mean to be dense, but I really don't know what you mean. Why would it be very important? Why not just replace it with a TOC that will auto-update upon request? I am not getting your meaning.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote