View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by filip
I don't have a pda with sd (just MS) and I don't think I'm alone on this.

Also imagine in 4-5 years, are you sure that the ebook you have on your sd card would be readable? Are you sure that sd card will exist ?
I'm not trying to insist on SD cards, that was just to frame the discussion. I don't really care what the media is so long as it's fairly industry standard. (I don't think that MemoryStick comes anywhere nearly as close to being an industry standard as SD cards do )

That said, I very much see your point about longevity of the media or the file type, but that applies to any media, really. I do think SD Cards will be around for a while as they're used in a lot of things. They'll probably enjoy similar longevity to USB connectors -- i.e. untill something better comes along. And if it's in wide usage, it'll hang around longer -- new PC's still have serial & PS2 ports, for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip
DRM files is bad, on sd card or on simple file.
This is even worst thant actual drm, it attach you to a physical device even more.

Just look at the Baen mean of selling ebooks, do you think there is a lot of piracy on their cheap drm free ebooks?
I also agree that DRM-less would be best, however, I don't think the publishers and authors would necessarily agree (BAEN is unusually enlightened here, which is why most of my non-Public Domain e-books are BAEN -- and can you really 'pirate' the stuff they give away free with permission to distribute?). I'm just seeking some kind of middle ground that would meet the needs of the consumer and still let the sellers make a living on their work, that's all. I'm trying to think of it more as a way to make stealing the work more difficult, while at the same time keeping the prices low enough to make stealing it unattractive, and the IPP unobtrusive enough to not interfere with the use of the product by the consumer any more than a paper book would.

Realistically, I don't think that we'll get fully DRM-less e-books for quite some time. I'm hoping to find a way to accellerate the full scale entry of e-books into the marketplace alongside the paper variety. If I had to physically have a card of some kind in order to read what I otherwise would have to physically have a hunk of paper to read, I could live with that, personally, but then, I've gotten used to the idea.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote