View Single Post
Old 04-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
doogie68
Connoisseur
doogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it isdoogie68 knows what time it is

Device: TX
4. Creating SXLs - Default Settings

Sunrise XP uses files generated by the user with directions on what and how to download websites. These files are called SXLs, which stands for Sunrise XP List. When you start Sunrise XP for the first time, you'll be presented with a blank SXL. First, though, Figure 1 (see bottom of this section) shows what a sample SXL looks like with all the information already entered to give you an idea of where we’re going. I have also posted this SXL if you would like to work directly with the sample SXL at some point later.

The SXL can have as many or as few documents as you wish; in this example, there are seventeen listed (seventeen rows). Note that by the term “document”, I’m referring to a specific group of web pages listed in the SXL; depending on the “link depth” that is selected (seventh column), each main “document” could have hundreds of linked web pages below it. As you can see, some of these can get pretty large—a function of downloaded pictures and many many links! Unless you have lots of room in your RAM, I encourage you to load the Plucker documents on your external memory card—more on that later.

OK, let’s go back to your blank SXL. The first thing you'll want to do is edit the default properties for new documents. Select "Edit --> Default Properties" and the Default Document Properties Box will come up (Figure 2)

Remember, these are just defaults; ANY of them can be changed later as needed for individual documents on a case-by-case basis. But try to set the defaults to what works best for your needs, as I describe below.

If it’s not already displayed, click the first tab, “Main” at the top. Leave all the blank settings under “Document” and “Source” as-is for now. Those will be changed from document to document. Under “Image Settings” you have choices for the quality of images as viewed in Plucker. As you can imagine, the quality, size and coloration of images will influence the size of the document files. To get an idea of how these different image qualities appear, visit http://plkr.org/gal to see screenshots showing different bit-per-pixel (bbp) resolutions. Naturally, your PDA hardware may limit the quality, especially with an older or lo-res unit. You can select “no images” as a default if you don’t foresee yourself displaying them. If you have a recent model PDA with high resolution (with pixel counts 320 x 320 or 480 x 320), I recommend you select “Thousands of Colors (16 bpp). Otherwise, select what is most appropriate for your hardware. Remember, all these can be changed later.

Max. Size refers to the size of the pictures in the web site. For now, let’s make the default 300 x 300. Also, let’s check the box for “Include Full-Size Alternate Images.” This means that if you do have an image that is too large to be displayed full-size on your screen, you can click on that image in Plucker to see the full size image, after which you can pan Left-Right-Up-Down to see it at full size.

OK, let’s check out the next tab (Output). Let’s assume that we don’t have a default schedule for updates in the first box, since some web sites you might want to download daily, others weekly, others every time, etc. You will want a destination, however, designated in the second box. You’ll note that you have a choice to either set up your Sunrise output to be automatically installed at HotSync, or else to simply be put in a folder somewhere on your PC (in which case you would need to manually load the files onto your PDA). Most of us using the Palm OS are going to want to load our documents directly to the PDA/expansion card during HotSync just as AvantGo does, so let’s assume the HotSync choice is selected. As Laurens’ help files state, Vade Mecum users (Pocket PC) have to output the document to a memory card or use ActiveSync or a third-party tool such as MobSync to transfer the documents to your device.

OK, but now where will we want to put this content? You have to designate a repository for the documents. So under “Destinations,” click “New.” For Palm users, the drop-down to the right of the word HotSync gives you a choice of RAM or expansion card. If you have one, I encourage you to keep stuff on the card unless it’s important/private material and warrants backing up. You have other choices if you pick internal RAM—your documents can be launched in the Palm OS launcher independent of Plucker, and you can have the Plucker documents backed up during HotSync. If you click OK, you should now see your destination in the box.

The next tab at the top, “Feed”, influences how RSS/Atom feeds are handled. Let’s leave this alone for now; you may want to vary this stuff on a case-by-case business. The last tab, “Advanced” can also stay as-is for now as well, we’ll discuss these features later when we configure documents. If you determine later that particular settings fit your needs better, modify those defaults at that time, and with each new Document, your default settings will be automatically entered.

There are also some general program settings on the menu under View --> Preferences. These settings control how the Program Interface works and the proxy server settings (which ideally don’t need to be messed with), and I’ll let you figure out the interface settings yourself—mostly minor tweaks. The only important setting at this stage is the “Maximum Active Updates” setting. You can simultaneously update from 1-5 documents at a time, depending upon your processing resources and bandwidth availability. I have an old clunker of a computer, so I only set it for one at a time. YMMV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Figure 01 - Main SXL Screen.jpg
Views:	2809
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Figure 02 - Default Document Properties.jpg
Views:	1453
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1033  
Attached Files
File Type: sxl sample.sxl (27.8 KB, 1342 views)

Last edited by doogie68; 04-10-2006 at 09:02 AM.