View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #171
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
In another book I've just checked now, I can see the same issue as Purple Lady in her ToC (see the second screenshot below, which shows my day mode). That's a Project Gutenberg free EPUB, so it's likely badly formatted.
No it is not likely badly formatted. Instead of making assumptions you might want to actually look at the code. I looked at the code for books having issues and they were all using standard inline TOC links.

Quote:
Nevertheless, this shouldn't be happening even with badly formatted EPUBs, so I'll be sending these screenshots to Shawny of Moon+ Reader so that he can take a look at the bug.
Thanks for forwarding her concern.

Quote:
You seem to have only about 6-7 words per typical line of text, whereas I have around 9-10 of them (2013 Nexus 7). That indicates either that your screen is smaller than usual on tablets, or that your font is larger than usual on tablets.
The beauty of using a tablet is that you can change the font as you wish. The whole concept of epub is it is a reflowable standard. There is no such thing as "larger than usual on tablets" your font is whatever you set it to.

Quote:
And that's OK, but you then need to accept some of the consequences this brings in the display of e-books.
What consequences are you referring to? She has no consequences because she chooses to use left justification and thus avoid any large gaps between words.

Quote:
I heard a recommendation that for text to be nicely readable, lines of text should contain approximately 60 characters -- not more, and not much less.
Isn't it great that we are no longer tied down to paper books. Now we can determine what is best for each of us.

Quote:
In your screenshots, you have -- a rough guess -- only about 30 characters or so per line of text, which again indicates a rather non-standard setup for a tablet screen.
You seem to be overly concerned with some fictional "standard" or ideal. You must realize that what you refer to as "standard" is different for each person. Your ideal, her ideal and my ideal are all different. Just because she has her tablet set for 30 characters a line does not in any way mean that it is a non-standard setup. My current book on my Nexus 7 is set to about 25 characters per line.

Quote:
It's nice that Moon+ allows us to experiment freely, as if each of us were a professional typesetter, and allows us to save an unlimited amount of themes, employing various fonts and specific font sizes ideal for this or that particular font.
Yes it is nice. Something you might want to keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
So I did have to get used to the left justify, but it's better than double vision.
I'm with you all of my books are formatted left justified for the same reason. I'm 55 and I prefer not to use reading glasses so I also have my fonts quite large.

Quote:
That's some lightning-fast bug-fixing by Shawny of the Moon+ Reader... The bug first reported by Purple Lady, with first letters of hyperlinks cut off when the first-line indent is set to "1", is already fixed in the most recent Moon+ Reader Beta version!
That is great to hear. Since all of my books already have paragraph indents the way I like them this was a none issue for me, but if the developer is going to include this great option for folks I'm glad he managed to make it work with typical inline Table of Contents found in many books.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote