View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #63
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@rogerinnyc: The fact that it works right away is a byproduct of a change in how the PW2 behaves, and only applies to KF8 content, so, ideally, the process would be:

* Put fonts in linkfonts/fonts
* KUAL > Fonts > Fonts Hack Behavior > Update fontconfig cache
* KUAL > Font Overrides > Populate this menu
* KUAL > Font Overrides > condensed > Custom > *click on wanted font*

* KUAL > Fonts > Restart KF8 reader
* Check w/ a KF8 file that it doesn't blow up

* KUAL > Fonts > Restart framework
* Check w/ a Mobi7 file that it doesn't blow up

* KUAL > Fonts > Restart X
* Check UI/Mobi7/KF8 to make sure that it doesn't blow up
* Restart device

(What's in gray are the "extra-cautious" steps that should ensure that you won't have a bad surprise at the next full reboot, and in case something does go wrong, provide an easier way to fix things over ssh, so, yeah, I *strongly* recommend people to do the initial setup with an SSH shell open).

If you have a bunch of fonts you want to test, or a bunch of custom fontconfig tweaks you want to quickly test (I'm thinking upscaling CFF fonts, for example), the fastest workflow is *do stuff* > restart KF8 reader > check KF8 file.

On a sidenote, the latest snapshots (from yesterday, I think?) should have a smarter & safer serif & sans override (mainly doesn't affect the UI, and doesn't poison the non-defaults serif/sans fonts (Baskerville, Palatino, Futura)).
Useful when you forgot to tweak a book that hardcodes the default font to the serif or sans family and you're too lazy to fix it ;p.

(I'm mentioning CFF fonts because, with the BCI freetype override, and a few tweaks [nerf the metrics for smaller line-height, fontconfig tweak to upscale them a bit (6 - 18%, depending on the font)], they look *really* good! I'm currently using a slightly tweaked Adobe Garamond Pro, and it looks gorgeous, despite being known for usually being utterly terrible on e-Ink screens).

----

I'll try to revamp the docs and push updated 'release' versions this weekend, but don't take my word for it, with finals looming ahead, my schedule is a bit chaotic.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-05-2013 at 05:03 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote