View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Take a look at 'Seven Arrows' by Hyemeyohsts Storm. It's an in depth look at the spiritual quest of the Native Americans in the SW part of the US, and how they learn to appreciate the world around them. Beautifully written, it's almost poetry in prose form.

Another very good read, but on a much sadder note is "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee," a historically accurate account by Dee Brown of the loss of Indian life, land, and culture at the hands of white America.

A third recommendation would be "Dancing with the Wheel" by Sun Bear. This isn't as much a history as it is a workbook to learn the Indian way of balancing the spirit using the concept of the Medicine Wheel.

These were some of the books I read in a series of classes in Native American Spirituality I attended at university that made the greatest impression on me.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote