View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Jeff Duntemann
Enthusiast
Jeff Duntemann can extract oil from cheeseJeff Duntemann can extract oil from cheeseJeff Duntemann can extract oil from cheeseJeff Duntemann can extract oil from cheeseJeff Duntemann can extract oil from cheeseJeff Duntemann can extract oil from cheeseJeff Duntemann can extract oil from cheeseJeff Duntemann can extract oil from cheeseJeff Duntemann can extract oil from cheese

Device: Thinkpad X41 & Sony Reader
I've had that scanner for about two years now, and I scanned/OCRed 119 magazine stories on it for the 5-book Carl & Jerry series that I published in 2007. The device got a great deal of action and never misbehaved in any way. It comes with FineReader Sprint 5.0, which probably has the lowest OCR error rate of anything I've tried. This has been true even for material printed on badly yellowed 120-year-old paper printed with archaic fonts and scattered with pen scribbles in the margins, with the bonus that the old books and journals I've scanned tend to survive the process intact.

It doesn't do quite as good a job scanning photographs as my HP flatbed, but for extracting text from old books that can't be spreadeagled on a conventional scanner there is absolutely nothing like it. I have quibbles about the language-free UI on the control software, but with a little study and an hour to practice you'll pick it up. Highly recommended.
Jeff Duntemann is offline   Reply With Quote