Right. I've got the file and I think JonnyXDA does also. I'm sure someone will be able to mirror it if the original goes down.
So, I've been poking at the android load and managed to get a shell on it over adb using windows 7 (64-bit). Should be able to install and remove apks now.
For anyone interested I downloaded the Android SDK for windows from http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html
and got it up and running.
I followed the instructions on Hecke's blog post about enabling adb in the update script on the first linux partition on the microsd card. I did it the easy way by using a card reader and a linux pc.
Next I obtained the "oem" adb driver from http://developer.android.com/tools/extras/oem-usb.html
. I added the following lines to android_winusb.inf in the [Google.NTamd64] section. I presume adding them to the [Google.NTx86] section would allow installation on an 32-bit platform as well.
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1F85&PID_1689&MI_01
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_1F85&PID_1689&REV_0226MI_01
After that I booted my Kobo/Shine and touched the "Freigeben" button once the "USB-Verbindung" window was displayed. I pointed windows to the modified adb driver it successfully installed!
The final modification was to create a file called "adb_usb.ini" in the .android directory in my user folder. Without it adb doesn't notice the installed adb device and will refuse to discover it on its own. Contents of this file
Not sure what to do now that I've got adb running. Time to google and learn some more