View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think I have always subvocalized when reading or typing for that matter. It doesn't necessarily slow a person down I don't think. Each person is different. Also are you reading books in your native tongue or translations into a second language when you read? I note you are from Finland and I would imagine that reading in a second language might seem slower than reading in your mother tongue so I wonder if that might be part of the problem. I mean I can't read German for example but if I had a passing knowledge of the written language and was trying to read a book in German rather than my native tongue of English I think I'd feel that I was reading slower due to that fact. Another trick you might try is starting out with shorter works and gradually working your way up to longer ones. A collection of short stories for example and then later a novella and eventually a novel. 400 pages is a fairly long book overall (though not the longest certainly) and you might just be feeling a bit overwhelmed at how thick the book is. ebooks have an advantage over paper books there in that you can remove the stumbling block of how thick the text is since all ebooks weigh the same amount on an ereader and are the same thickness (that of the reader itself).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote