Thread: Ode to Marvin
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Ode to Marvin

In the beginning was Stanza, and God said it was good. Fictionwise was a great source of books and Stanza could configure easily to other sources.

Then B&N bought Fictionwise and Amazon bought Stanza. And that was bad.

Apple came out with iBooks and of course there is the kindle app. I actually like the skuemorphism of the iBooks app and it became my default "non-kindle" book reading app. The "Open In" feature came along and removed the big sticking point of Stanza's feature.

Many ebook apps have since appeared. BlueFire was an "almost" but I just couldn't love it like Stanza.

But now there is Marvin and I am in love again. Marvin doesn't have the iBooks skuemorphism which many will like...but it has every imaginable formatting tweek such that I barely miss iBooks for that.

It HAS the great "connect to book servers" feature. It has the "drag finger to adjust brightness" that I loved in Stanza. Improved over Stanzas actually.

It has nice fonts (question: which fonts do you folks like best for reading).

It has this way cool feature I never even thought to ask for. It can "read' your book and create a compendium of all the names. I read lots of complicated books with many many characters. Reading Bourne Dominion and I had taken a bit of a break. With Marvin when a name appears, I can do a quick check of where that name was introduced into the story. FANTASTIC!

I'm sure there's more, but I'm already sold. Well worth they $5 for the iPhone version and the inexplicably free iPad version.

Now if they could just add the iBooks page curl and skuemorphism I'd REALLY be over the moon.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote