View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I've heard a lot about the Shadow and Doc Savage, but have never read them as I've never gotten my hands on one of them.

I've looked around, but Haven't found paper or ebook versions of them.

I believe that Black Mask had them available originally, but they got pulled.
BBusy, there are actually 9 Doc Savages in the Public domain in Austrailia. One of the minor writers of Doc Savages in the Kenneth Robeson pen name was Laurence Donovan. Not one of the best Doc writers, I'll admit, but he died in 1950, with makes his work PD in life + 50 countries. (and Austrailia, which became life + 70 in 2006, but existing life + 50 titles were grandfathered.)

Best title of the bunch is "The Men Who Smiled No More." Check Project Gutenberg Austrailia - http://www.gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html#letterD - You make your own judgement about legality of downloading at your own site.

The main writer of Doc Savages was Lester Dent, who died in 1959. That makes his Docs PD on Jan 2, 2010 (around a 100 or so titles.) in life + 50 countries. I expect Conde Nast will probably lean on any Canadian site posting them, like Margaret Mitchell's estate does on "Gone With The Wind", but they do become PD then.

For paper copies of Doc Savage and The Shadow, check E-BAY. There are always used paperback at auction.

If one is of less that exacting standard on copyright, check out e-bay for Doc Savage CD-ROMs. 'Nuff said.

(and yes, I do own the complete reprint set (all 182) of Doc Savage.

Last edited by Greg Anos; 10-05-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote