View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxianUK View Post
Hi,

I have sideloaded some epubs to my Kobo Aura running firmware 2.9.0 and Calibre 1.4. I'm using the Kobo extended plugin 2.2.9 that converts the epub to kepub (verified when looking in the Kobo library on the device).

At the foot I see page x of chapter y (a feature of kepub).

I have the following problems:

1 When reopening an ebook (from home or library) the page sometimes remains blank except for the header (which displays the book's title) and the footer (which displays 'loading page...). A soft reset or factory reset does not make any difference to the outcome when attempting again. However, closing the sleep cover and then pressing the centre makes the page display.. odd
This sounds like a known bug with kepubs that have embedded fonts. Usually, tapping the centre of the screen brings up the menu bars and when they are dismissed, the text is displayed, but I have seen one other report like yours. If this is the problem, changing the font on the device to something other than "Document default" will solve the problem.
Quote:
2. Kobo sometimes forgets the page last read when navigating away, say to the home page. If the book tile is selected from the home page I'm taken to the very beginning of the book or the page fails to load - however sometimes it works as it should and I'm returned to where I left off.

Kobo always remembers where I left off if I simply put the device to sleep by closing my sleep cover.

I've sideloaded a 'problem' book as an epub and have no problems.
You didn't happen to edit these books and resend them to the device? The behaviour you are describe suggests the TOC that the device has stored doesn't match that in the book. When the device first sees a book, it is processed and added to the internal database. The info stored is the metadata and the TOC. Replacing the book file using calibre does not get the book reprocessed. If you edit the book and the structure changes, the TOC will change and will not match what is in the device database. After that, you can open the book and read it, but will not be able to use any of the navigation features.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote