View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #42
jtt
Connoisseur
jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.jtt composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: PB 622, PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I had already made my own keyboard layout with more special characters, but I couldn't figure out how to add the Enter key to it. Since you can't use a bluetooth keyboard either, I just gave up on running vi from the device's interface.
Well, that's not going to be a probem here when you can write a new keyboard completely indendent of the libibinkview keyboard - just put enoygh buttons at the bottom of the screen and use the rest of the screen for the editor.

I just succeeded in building vim without ncurses/termcap (just for a VT100) for x86 and the next step is to try to built it for arm. If that works we'll have a full vim for the pocketbook instead of the rather crippled version that comes with the device (that might even be useful for you when you telnet/ssh into the device and need to do some editing). Let's see if that works;-)

The following step then would be to write a VT100 emulator that understands all the escape sequences this vim version knows about with a keyboard that's usable for editing with vi. the icing on the cake would be if one could place the cursor also using taps on the screen;-)

Quote:
I got WiFi working and used sshd and utelnetd for shell access after that, and never looked back.
I would like to be able to do that but, as I said, I never got WLAN to work on my network - I'm still hoping that the next firmware version will take care of that problem. It probably would speed up development considerably!

But even then I guess being able to edit a few files when one isn't near a "real" computer (like when one is travelling) might still be useful.

Quote:
If you think the software keyboard sucks on your Touch device, you should see what it's like on the button-only devices like my 902 (three button presses on average per character, and much more for the special ones).
I guess I can feel the pain;-)

Best regards, Jens
jtt is offline   Reply With Quote