Thread: Sad Sigil news?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #53
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
The biggest headache really is support and I'd rather not get more involved in that. Especially as noted people are entitled enough when it comes to something they were given for free, once they've paid that entitlement sky rockets.
True. However, I can understand that if someone pays for a product and there is a problem (and I don't mean "Teach me how to use this and that feature", I mean a real problem/bug), then it would be expected that it is fixed as soon as possible.

Quote:
The choice of the C++ language has been a hinderance to Sigil. It's a complex language and few people know it well enough that they're comfortable contributing. Pretty much every person whose contributed has said something like: "I know language X but C++ is confusing, is this patch correct?"

When I took over Sigil from Valloric he basically told me that if he knew what he knows now about how C++ would impact Sigil he would have used a different language for the project.

I'd think with Microsoft pushing C++ as their "system" language and embracing C++11 more people would be comfortable with it. But as it turns out C++ really is preventing contributors.
I wonder.

C and C++ are not that difficult. I can learn a programming language within a few days, but then it's still not possible to write meaningful programs. The problem is not C++, or whatever language: the problem is (IMHO) the bazillion number of libraries.

I know C, C++, C#, PHP, and other languages too, but it's impossible to just jump into a project because most of the time, I don't know the libraries that are used well enough.

Doesn't Sigil use BOOST, QT, and some other libraries? I know BOOST (the few parts I've used of it), but I know nothing about QT, or any other library Sigil uses.

The language is not difficult, but if someone expects you to sit down and start writing code for some huge project: good luck. There are like 20.000 frameworks and libraries out there, and they're all different, and work in a different way. It costs time to get up to speed with the ones used, and after you know them enough to start coding, the knowledge becomes almost useless as soon as you need to work on a project that uses different frameworks and libraries.

I don't know if using a language other than C++ would have solved that problem.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-19-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote