View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #22
Xen
Enthusiast
Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
The new Sony T3 has a fast charge mode that will enable you to read one more book. The device that HarryT mentioned would take care of power failure fears. Most ebook batteries seem to last several years and you would possibly pay more that the cost of a new ereader buying AA or AAA batteries if that is what you want by then, plus the weight. When you are already going to replace a device that still has working batteries, I don't follow your reasoning.
Who said anything about replacing a working device? I'm not replacing the Kindle - it still works. I would just like to have a larger format e-reader to use at home.

I guess you've not heard of rechargeable AA and AAA batteries? But that is not the issue. The issue is being able to replace or bypass the internal battery rather than having to throw the whole (new) e-reader away, when the internal battery comes to the end of its life.

Quote:
A larger format ereader that does PDF's is going to be expensive and heavier. Sony does a reasonable job, and probably the others as well for library book (fiction) type PDFs.
Sony is not making a large format e-reader any more, at least not that I can find. They've "standardized" down to one model. If my Kindle were to die (as in not even a battery replacement would save it) then I might consider one of those, or a Nook - but that's not the issue at this point in time. It would be nice if a large format e-reader would handle PDFs well enough that I could read them, but in the absence of color e-ink, that's not actually required. In my second posting I tried to clarify that somewhat but I still wasn't feeling very well (still not, even now) so maybe I didn't clarify it very well.

My goal is to keep the Kindle as a portable e-reader, but I want a larger format e-reader to use around the house. Just to clarify. I'm not disposing of anything.

Quote:
For organization any of them you have to put a little personal effort into them either by using calibre or the reader software. The kindle does have collections but you must register to use them. The Sony has better collections IMO and no need to register, but it does not magically do it all for you. Using calibre you need to spend time (an hour or so) to set it up and then it is almost magic from then on. Using the reader's software you must do it for each book yourself.

I use Calibre, but that does not help with organizing ON THE KINDLE. I am perfectly well aware that I will need to set up whatever organization I am going to use myself, but the Kindle's offering in this regard is little short of pitiful. "Collections" are limited and difficult to set up. I have had problems trying to assign books to multiple "collections". The interface between Calibre and the Kindle doesn't seem to function very well. Sometimes "collection" definitions transfer onto the Kindle, but more often they do not.

Since I am not even considering a large-format Kindle, even if they have one that uses e-ink, Kindle collections are not at issue. I want something that is BETTER than Kindle "collections", easier to use, and better handled by the Calibre software.

Even having the ability to use MicroSD cards would solve, or at least greatly reduce, the problem, as I could organize on those as if they were "folders". So I could just swap out the card that has all my mysteries on it (organized into types of mysteries using whatever native categorization there is on the device) for my SF card, or the Fantasy card, or the contemporary novels card. And yes, I DO have that many e-books.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote