View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #21
Xen
Enthusiast
Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So you want a directory structure like you'd get using Windows?
Not necessarily, but I would like to be able to group my books in some fashion BESIDES alphabetically by author, by title, and by series (which is probably what you are calling "collections" below)

Such as, a folder/"bookshelf" for mysteries, with a further subdivision of "Agatha Christie" vs "Conan Doyle" etc, or "British Period" or whatever I want to set up. Right now I can't even get ONE level.

Quote:
Most of the big companies use categories/shelves like the Kindles offer, if that's not working for you there are a few smaller brands (Onyx, Bookeen, PocketBook) that offer a folder/directory structure.
Kindle "collections" are way too limited. I want more depth than that.

Quote:
Have you checked to make sure your books have indexed correctly? Because many consider the Kindle's search one of the better ones.
Kindle's indexing is totally outside my control. I was told (by Kindle tech support) not to load more than a handful of books at a time because otherwise the Kindle gets "confused" and doesn't index properly. Not my problem - Kindle's problem. The only way to fix it is to unload the Kindle and load books a few at a time, with a waiting period between (which is apparently of inderminate, and indeterminable, length). Because there is no way to find out which book or books may be fouled up and you can't index as a separate operation.

Regardless of the lousy indexing, my issue with Kindle search is that it is impossible to differentiate what you are searching on. I cannot search on just the Author field, or just the title field, or just the contents, or on tags at all. If I search on, say, "Christie" it will not only find every book with that in the author field, but also every book with that in the title field and every page in every book with that in the contents. Such a list gets very lengthy very quickly, and takes forever to complete the search - generally in fact it locks up and has to be powered down, totally reset, and started over.

So no, Kindle search is not beloved in this household, LOL!

I'll check out the devices you suggest. I wish they still made the big Sony e-reader - figures they'd stop making it just about the time I got the money to buy one, LOL!
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote