View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
Xen
Enthusiast
Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Some of your criteria are false.
NONE of my criteria are "false". They are relevant to what *I* want in an e-reader, ymmv.

Quote:
Kindle does have categories for organization.
My Kindle does not allow for any categorization whatsoever. Maybe newer ones do - to which version(s) of the Kindle are you referring? Heck, I can't even get it to let me change the title once it's on the Kindle. The only thing it will let me do is add a series name, which is of limited usefulness. I can't even sort on tags.

Quote:
SOME tablets are lighter than some ereaders.
(Though I demand eink as well.)
Irrelevant, as e-ink is required. Merely an observation. A larger format e-reader would HAVE to be heavier than my current Kindle. I don't like tablets; the comparison to which you are referring was between tablets and small clamshells, which was a digression from the point at hand, eg e-readers.

Quote:
Some of your other criteria, are, IMNSHO, rather biased and arbitrary, so it's hard to rationally address them. For example, while Amazon's format is technically 'proprietary' it forces no additional 'reliance' on anything or anyone in any practical way.
Of course they are biased - they reflect what *I* want in an e-reader. So? And they are certainly not "arbitrary" - again, they reflect what *I* want in an e-reader. Nothing arbitrary about that as all functionality reflects something useful in an e-reader. Now if I demanded a giraffe print case - THAT would be arbitrary.

As for proprietary formats - since the only thing my Kindle will read is MOBI and AZW3 format, and the VAST majority of my holdings are epub, that means I have to de-DRM and convert before I can read on the Kindle. Note that I don't count PDF on the Kindle because it is, for all intents and purposes, unreadable on the small screen. Requires a lot of scrolling around and just basically isn't worth the trouble. So there is in fact a direct hit on usability and practicality because of the limited support for non-Amazon formats.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote