View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Xen
Enthusiast
Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle
Sorry, I've been ill and didn't get back.

No e-ink is a deal-breaker - so tablets are out. Besides they are heavy - the one my son has seems heavier than my clamshell netbook! And they are touch screen. I see absolutely no advantages to a tablet over a clamshell netbook or notebook computer.

I want MicroSD card slot and a user changeable battery. Not exactly a deal breaker by itself but that's a really high want.

I don't want touch screen if there is any way to avoid it. I do want to be able to organize books into categories or folder or "bookshelves" or something besides the flat list the Kindle gives you.

My current kindle - Yes, it's an older Kindle, I think the Kindle 3. No, it is not connected to wifi, and never will be. It was registered when my son first bought it, but he only kept it for about a week. It is a pretty awful e-reader in many ways. It should be able to keep time regardless of whether or not it's connected to wifi - a clock is a very minor hardware function these days. I can live with the wrong time on my Kindle, but the horrible search function, absolutely no way to organize books on it, no microSD slot, and the fact that I can't keep more than about 20 books on it without it turning up toes and dying at the drop of a hat (well, at the initiation of a search anyway) is also not a desired feature. Also I'm not 100% sure but it seems to me I read somewhere that the old battery-change hack isn't possible with the new Kindles but I frankly haven't looked into it since another Kindle is the LAST thing I want, or pretty close to it.

Reliance on proprietary formats (eg the Kindle) is a deal breaker.

I know Aasimov's and SF&F should have epub versions but I think most other magazines publish in PDF. I guess I can manage those on my computer if I must. But I would like a larger format than the Kindle I have, with a mini-keyboard or a way to plug a keyboard in, no touch screen, e-ink is absolutely required.

Really pretty much basically what I already said.

I guess the only thing I DIDN'T say is that I would like something that works well and has some support and is a fairly well known e-reader. I just googled "pirys maxi" and it turned up THIS thread, LOL! Is that possibly misspelled?

Last edited by Xen; 09-04-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote