View Single Post
Old 08-21-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, iPad MiniRet, MBP;support PRS-T1,Kindle,2xKobo Glos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen View Post
I have a kindle, inherited from my son after he decided he hated it (I TOLD him so)

It's fine=ish - the search function is abysmal, and I can't keep more than a handful of books on it unless I'm willing to deal with multiple power-downs and resets when it locks up - but as long as I only keep a few books on it and minimize my searching, it suits as a portable e-reader, given it was free. Oh yeah, and the clock loses time like crazy so I either have to constantly set the clock or just resign myself to not knowing what time it is.

However now I would like to have something with a larger screen size, no touch screen, will take a microSD card, and with the capability of user-changed battery. That could be a hack, as long as it's an easy hack.

I would like to use this as a home reader, on which I could read PDF formats (they look horrible when changing them to an e-format) and magazines. I do not need color. I do want some form of easy-on-the-eyes e-ink. I would want graphics to be rendered fairly well in greyscale - fairly well is good enough as my eyes are getting decrepit anyway. But I would need to be able to actually read text with minimal manipulation of the display size.

I have no need of wifi. The reader should handle epubs and pdfs. I do not need advanced note-taking capabilities. Bookmarking is required; better organization than the Kindle gives me (which is basically none) would be a big plus.

I doubt I'm going to hit every requirement, but what can you guys suggest that might get me close?

EDIT: BTW the PDFs would be mostly purely text - some library books only come in PDF format for some odd reason. I imagine most magazines that have e-copies are also in PDF format, but I don't know. Magazines such as Aasimov's Science Fiction and Archeology are the sort of thing I'm talking about.
I'm guessing that's a very old Kindle, or it's unregistered and/or not connected to wifi to keep time, or it has some other issue? Most Kindles function very well. No microSD cards, though, so if that's a dealbreaker, they're out.

It might be useful if you could give a list of what is an absolute requirement, what you would really really like, and what you would quite like but don't mind if it's missing.

Addressing the latter first: I'm pretty sure most SF magazines have an epub or Kindle version nowadays - the ones I sub to (eg Clarkesworld) certainly do, and I read them just fine on my Kobo. The Asimov's website says it has subs available for Kindle, Nook, Sony etc. Lightspeed, Apex, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Locus are all available in epub.

If you really do want to read PDFs easily and well, you need a tablet. If you can find ways around the PDF issue, a Kobo Aura might be a device to consider. It's larger than the standard 6 inch eink screen, takes an SD card, but not available in non-touch. Your user-changed battery and non-touch wishes are probably the most difficult to fill with current-day devices. You might need to look outside of the majors.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote