View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Xen
Enthusiast
Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.Xen is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle
Looking for new ebook reader

I have a kindle, inherited from my son after he decided he hated it (I TOLD him so)

It's fine=ish - the search function is abysmal, and I can't keep more than a handful of books on it unless I'm willing to deal with multiple power-downs and resets when it locks up - but as long as I only keep a few books on it and minimize my searching, it suits as a portable e-reader, given it was free. Oh yeah, and the clock loses time like crazy so I either have to constantly set the clock or just resign myself to not knowing what time it is.

However now I would like to have something with a larger screen size, no touch screen, will take a microSD card, and with the capability of user-changed battery. That could be a hack, as long as it's an easy hack.

I would like to use this as a home reader, on which I could read PDF formats (they look horrible when changing them to an e-format) and magazines. I do not need color. I do want some form of easy-on-the-eyes e-ink. I would want graphics to be rendered fairly well in greyscale - fairly well is good enough as my eyes are getting decrepit anyway. But I would need to be able to actually read text with minimal manipulation of the display size.

I have no need of wifi. The reader should handle epubs and pdfs. I do not need advanced note-taking capabilities. Bookmarking is required; better organization than the Kindle gives me (which is basically none) would be a big plus.

I doubt I'm going to hit every requirement, but what can you guys suggest that might get me close?

EDIT: BTW the PDFs would be mostly purely text - some library books only come in PDF format for some odd reason. I imagine most magazines that have e-copies are also in PDF format, but I don't know. Magazines such as Aasimov's Science Fiction and Archeology are the sort of thing I'm talking about.

Last edited by Xen; 08-21-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote