Thread: Literary Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 950, 350s, N7, &...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
yes, could not agree more about the social classes: and the scene at the Town Hall (the "riot") is in essence contemptuous and condescending.
That was one of my favorite scenes in the whole book. The burghers held hostage by the rabble, as they had food brought lest they miss a meal and the "rabble" were a handful of townspeople out for the fun who didn't even know what they wanted. Both sides came off badly and I thought it was hilarious. And then Krűger expired on the way home because of the affront to his sense of order!

I agree with you that Buddenbrook had too cheap a victory. I was interested that at least according to Mann, the revolution of 1848 largely passed over Lýbeck.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote