View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #2190
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR Glowlight, Sony T1, Acer Iconia A200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSun View Post
I tried to get into this series - I gave it two-and-a-bit books, but found the writing style and characterisations juvenile (and that's saying something, as I'm a YA addict!). I've been told to stick with it, because it becomes brilliant around book seven, and that even die-hard fans recognise that it leaves a lot to be desired up until book seven - so, should I just skip the books between two and seven and go straight to where this series "gets good"?
As much as I love the series, it's not for everyone. If it doesn't work for you, don't listen to people who try to convince you "it will, just wait!". Yes, the books do get better in some ways, and darker, but if the essence of the style and characters aren't what you like, then you might only be more frustrated trying to force it.

The series doesn't magically become brilliant at book seven, but Butcher does become more comfortable with his style and voice as the series progresses, and so you might say that around book seven is where he comes into his own, for want of a better phrase.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't, of course. You shouldn't listen to me any more than anyone else. It may be worth grabbing an excerpt / sample of one of the later books and giving it a look. If you did decide to skip, you can always hit Wikipedia and read the synopses for the books you skip.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote