View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, Nook Glow, PB Touch Lux 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat View Post
She has been reading Susanna Kearsley, Mary Alice Munro, Ann Patchett, Alexander McCall Smith, Daphne Kalotay, Kate Morton, Anne Korkeakivi, Jonas Jonasson, and Ellen Airgood.
I've only read two of the four authors mentioned, so my suggestions might or might not really match what you're looking for.

I haven't read anyone that reminds me of Kearsley's books - they've been highly unique to my reading experience!

There was a historical fiction novel I read sometime ago that made me think a lot: Household Golds by Judith Tarr and Harry Turtledove. I was thrilled when this finally became available digitally and I could get rid of my yellowing paperback.

I've only skimmed McCall-Smith books...although I have a "mountain" of them on my TBR pile. I really enjoyed the historical fiction by Deanna Raybourne. I've actually not read her most recent book yet (A Spear of Summer Grass), but it's actually had some controversy because it's set in 1920s colonial Africa, and some felt she handled the idea too...kindly?

Raybourne's books that I have read were interesting historically...I just don't remember if they have the "philosophical" considerations you're looking for.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 07-11-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Because I *can* count!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote