View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-505, iPad, Samsung Galaxy S II
I don't have kids and I'm way out of that age range myself, but I read a lot of middle-grade / YA books and spend time on forums/websites with teenage fans, so...

Anything for kids by Rick Riordan - has pretty much already been mentioned (I'd say the original Percy Jackson series is aimed at slightly younger readers than Heroes of Olympus, but if a 10-year-old starts with PJ, there shouldn't be any issues with continuing with HoO). Liked by both boys and girls.

Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy - the first five books have 9+ as suggested age on the back, the most recent ones have been 11+ but I'd say it'll depend on the child as they can get a bit gory at times. Liked by both boys and girls.

Boys 12+ seem to like anything by Darren Shan (Cirque du Freak, Demonata, Zom-B).

Mid-teens and older (15+) seem keen on anything by John Green. Girls and boys both.

Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments (and her other series) - mostly girls but also a surprising (to me) amount of boys like these. 13+, I'd say.

Alex Rider by Anthony Horowitz and Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer are mentioned a lot - Alex Rider probably mostly (but not exclusively) by boys, Artemis Fowl by both. I can't really tell what the lower age range would be for those, 10-ish?

A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket - boys and girls, 10+.

A lot of the above-mentioned books have quite a bit of humour in them.
Yapyap is online now   Reply With Quote