View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #726
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I just did another test. The SD card has 1184 books. About a quarter are PDF, the rest ePubs.

I first put it into the Touch. Waited a while and then plugged it into calibre to create the shelves. That created 31 pages of shelves. The big shelves have: 931, 66, 259, 211, 208 and 208 books (you can guess how that was sorted). Most of the rest are less than five books with a few between five and ten.

Opening the shelf list was about 40 seconds each time. I tried from the home screen and from the main library list. The speed was fairly consistent.

I took the card out and put it in the Glo. That took 11 minutes to process the books. Again connected to calibre and let it create the shelves. There were a few more shelves as there were already 200+ books on the Glo. But the sizes of the big shelves were the same. Actually, the numbers above came from the Glo. The big shelves should only have had books from the SD card, so they should be the same on both.

On the Glo, opening the shelf list list took 31 seconds. Where I started from or the sort order didn't matter. Again, the 31 seconds was very consistent.

A confession: This is actually with beta firmware on both devices. But, the figures for the Touch agree with what I saw with 2.6.1. And for anyone who wants to know, here's a hint about a change up there. And no, I'm not going to answer any questions.
I removed some books and timed shelf opening

Spoiler:

746 collections

7x16
4x15
6x14
3x12
15x11
9x10
15x9
18x8
15x7

106 seconds

removed 49 books from 73 book shelf
101 seconds

Deleted books from 3 largest collections
86 seconds

Deleted books from all collections over 20 books (10)
68 seconds
690 collections
2217 books

deleted 284 books from 19 collections
64 seconds
1933 books

deleted 43 books 43 colections
1889 books 569 collections
58 seconds

deleted 54 books 54 collections
51 seconds
1835 books

Added back 73 book collection
59 seconds

made collection, added no books of 231 books
220 seconds
opened shelves again and used system clock 3 minutes and 30 seconds or 210 seconds.

Removed no books, changed driver configuration to series, which gives me 479 series collections and one 231 book collection of books with no series.
49 seconds

This was on the Aura all books on SD card, no books on device, all epub.

I timed some twice once with counting and once with system clock and as you said the time was the same or close.

I am a bit baffled.
Reducing the number of collections seemed to make a reasonably consistent difference, but creating a collection of 231 books already on the device made it take almost 3 times longer. Then changing the shelf configuration to series from authors but still having the 231 book collection was fastest yet. I know that I have less shelves but if the 231 book collection added around 90 seconds why would it take much less time. Probably a logical reason but it eludes me.

I also cannot understand why the library list is so much faster. I have read claims that the books and/or database and/or covers must be processed, but are the covers/database/books not the same for the library list? I think of the library list as a large shelf, and the shelves as subsets of the library list.

Any light you can shed on this would ease my poor broken brain

Helen.

PS still love your plugins.

PPS
Accidentally deleted reading and finished shelves. AGGGHHHH, must put on again

Last edited by speakingtohe; 06-17-2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: PPS
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote