View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #29
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am fine with the way most ebooks are priced. I do think that they should be priced the same as a paperback when the paperback is out but overall, I am paying for the content not the format. In some ways, I am paying for the convience. I am ok with that. I know that there are others who are not and who think that the prices should be a lot lower.

All pricing info below is pure speculation.

Honestly, I don't know what it costs to pay someone to edit a book, pay someone else to proof read a book, pay someone else to format a book, and pay for long term storage of a book (probably on multiple servers.) I don't think that it is all that cheap to do all of that. While there is money saved on paper, transportation, ink, and storage costs I am guessing that the amount saved really is not that great. Given the vloume of business that the major publishers do, they probably have pretty good deals on the cost of paper, ink, transportation, and storage. Toss in that right now, they are probably paying higher costs for paper, ink and transportation because the quanity has diminished (which negates some of the bulk purchase savings) and they have to format the book for hardback, paperback, and ebook and it could overall be more expensive to produce a book in all its formats.

I think the cost of ebooks will drop as time goes on but I dount it will get down to the price point that some folks want. I think it is one thing for an independent author to charge $2 or less for a ebook then the Publishing houses given the work that the Publishing houses put into books. An Independent author can choose to use an editor, a proofreader, and someone to help design the cover but they don't have to. And they pay those people a specific rate. They are not responsible for benefits, a 401K, PTO, sick leave and all that the Publishers are for their employees.

I would guess that the Indie authors who use editors and proofreaders charge a bit more for their books to help recoop their costs.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote