View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's such a lot that's wrong in this that it's difficult to know where to begin. You certainly "don't get stuck with Amazon for the rest of your life". It's extremely easy to back up your books, and you assuredly don't lose them if Amazon goes bust. Where did you get such misleading information from? Amazon have the best bookstore around, and customer service that puts every other bookstore to shame.

Moreover, although it's perfectly true that Amazon don't support ePub, their "KF8" book format is essentially "ePub in a wrapper", and using a tool like Calibre it's extremely easy to convert seamlessly between ePub and KF8, so you don't lose access to your ePub books.
Well, so far, only Amazon's Kindle can read books purchased in Amazon's "KF8" format and it has been that way since they started in 2007, so you are indeed stuck with their reader (or their apps for android/IOS/Windows - no Linux here /cloud reader). Their policy (took me a while to find it) states that it is illegal (or at least a breach of their policy) to try and read their content (books) in any other apps / device than the ones they provide. Doing so is a breach of policy and they state that if you do, they may deny you access to all your (or rather their, since it licensing) content. Converting files to another format is also a breach of policy ^^.

In 2009 there was quite a scandal when they deleted some G. Orwell books which they had illegally sold (they offered a settlement afterward) and there was something more recently with a (Finnish?) account being deleted (and again re-instated when it became public knowledge).

Other than that, I quite like the features of their 9" Kindle, the possibility to borrow for "free" (you still have to pay to become a prime member) and their extensive collection.

The thing is, epub seems to be the standard for books in French (other than at Amazon) and while I like to read in English, I also enjoy some French from time to time...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote