Thread: Regex examples
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #259
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
There seems to happen a misunderstanding: Whereas I'm now, after having endured some difficulties described above, quite satisfied with the book worked out with the extended driver after reloading, the rumour is with the standard driver. With the extended, the spaces between the brackets and the word are - if at all - only few, such as one white space or so - not worth while incommodating you. The rest is all perfect.

But with the standard driver, it's for example like this:
Input:
I asked if she would like. She said: "No".
Output:
I asked if she would like. She said: "No
".
And this way many, many times. In an old calibre thread, I read about a similar problem, and there resulted that by reformatting of the text on the base of HTML (and not ODF), the issue went by. (How the mate had managed to convert ODF in Calibre, I don't know).

So yesterday, I considered to do the same and try again, but eventually desisted, for with the extended plugin it is all fine right now. Maybe when I'll convert another book, the issue appears again, then I'll let you know.

I'm excited with your helpfulness, however!

From that, the problem is either in the book, or a problem in the reader application on the device. The KoboTouch driver makes no change to code in the book. Calibre does update the metadata and the cover, but no other changes are made when the book is sent.

But, I think you have completely missed a very important point. The Kobo extended puts epubs onto the Kobo devices in a way that they will be treated as kepubs. This means they are read with a completely different reading application than is used for an epub. The two reader applications have different behaviour and different bugs. The most commented on differences are the kepub reader displays the book title at the top of the screen and the page numbering is per chapter. The epub reader doesn't display the title (except FW2.5.2) and the page numbering is for the complete book.

What you describe above sounds like a foible of the epub reader. It sometimes goes to a new line in strange places. Odds are, that changing the font size will change what you are seeing. One step lower, assuming the book doesn't fix the size, will probably show the quote and full stop on the same line. Changing the font used or margins will probably do the same.

To check this, manually sideload the book. Just copy it to the device and let it process and look at it. That eliminates any effect calibre might have.

If you still think it is wrong, then like jgoguen, I would need to see the book. Or enough of a sample to demonstrate the problem. Post it or PM me a link
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote