The Kobo Utilities Plugin adds extra function to calibre for working with Kobo WiFi, Touch, Glo, Mini, Aura and Aura HD eReaders. This will allow changes on the eReaders that either cannot otherwise be made or will make them easier to do.
The current functions of the plugin are:
- Set/Remove font settings for specific books.
- Dismiss tiles from new home on Glo or Aura HD.
- Update metadata directly to the database on the device.
- Change the reading status.
- Manage series info for books on the device. This is mainly for books not in the calibre library including kepubs.
- Store/record current reading position for ePubs. This can be done manually or automatically when the Kobo ereader is connected.
- Upload/Remove covers for all books in the library. This includes kepubs.
- A couple of annotations options that I'm not happy with.
- List the books missing from the device database. This only lists the books that calibre thinks should be in the database.
- Backup the device database.
- Run integrity check on the database. It doesn't fix anything, but it tells you if the database is OK or not.
- Clean up duplicate shelves.
- Almost all the functions of this plugin directly update the database on the Kobo device. If anything goes wrong, the database could get corrupted. It shouldn't happen, but it could. Before using any function of the plugin, it is recommended that you backup the database.
- The plugin has been created by reverse engineering the function of the Kobo eReaders. This has been done by examining the database on the Touch and Glo and experimenting with it and the interface. There is a good chance that my conclusions from this are wrong. This is unlikely to damage the device, but it could result in the need to reset it.
- Download the attached zip file and install the plugin/add to context menu or toolbar/restart Calibre as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.
- Before use, some configuration of the plugin is needed. Pressing the toolbar button will display the configuration options, or it can be reached from the menu. Several custom columns are needed for the full function of the plugin. Pressing the help link will display the help for the plugin. This includes a full description of the columns needed.
- Once installed, the usage for most functions is to select one or more books in the library or device list and select an option from the plugins menu. A dialog will be displayed to set options for the action. Pressing OK will run the actions and when finished display a message showing the results.
- The functions available depend on whether you are looking at the library or the device list.
- A full description of each function is available in the help. This can be seen by pressing the help link in the top right of corner of each dialog.
- A large chunk of the code is borrowed from the plugins written by kiwidude. Without his work, this would have been a lot harder to do.
- A few people have tried the beta versions of the plugin. Their reports, suggestions and encouragement have been important in getting it working.