View Single Post
Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
Xanthe
Wizard
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony T1, Sony 350, Pandigital, eBM 911, Nook HD & HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The flip side of that is that it's pretty hard to sale volume 5 of a series when a new reader can't get volumes 1 - 4. There have been quite a few books over the years where I saw a new book in a series, wanted to get the first book but couldn't, so I passed on them all.
I've found that to be true, too. I'll see an interesting ebook that's maybe #5 or #9 in a series that I've never heard of before, and since I like to read series books from the first book I look for the first ones. A number of times I've found that they either aren't available or are only available via the used market for a much higher price. I'll pass on the whole series then.

I no longer trust publishers to know what will sell, and I think their disregard of OOP authors is very short-sighted. On the Dark Side, I've seen people put up scanned and corrected copies of OOP authors that are snapped up by folks who read those authors years ago and who have been just waiting for ebook copies of the pbooks they can no longer find to become available from publishers. That's sales that are just being thrown away; it's not even a matter of the old piracy debate because those books aren't even available for purchase.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote