Originally Posted by murg
Please also be aware that SameerH, the Kobo product manager, made a veiled threat in a post after the 2.4 came out that there may be additional problems with sideloading firmware in the future.
THEN THE KOBO TEAM SHOULD CREATE A MORE STABLE AND CENTRALIZED WAY OF GIVING OUT UPDATES!
My Kobo Glo is stucked with the 2.4.0 update since February.
So I'm wondering why it doesn't update until yesterday even though I sync it both thru Wi-Fi and Kobo Desktop.
Last 05/30/2013 03:49 PM, I asked the customer service team on how can I update it. By 06/04/2013 02:50 PM, instructed was been made and as follows:
1. Ensure your device is completely powered off.
2. Press the light button at the left of the power button.
3. While holding the light button, slide the power button until the power light starts flashing and you see "restoring" on your Kobo Glo screen
4. Connect your device to your computer when prompted
5. Set it up using Kobo Desktop.
Does your device update? If not, please let me know and I will send the steps to sideload the update. For this, we require some additional information:
- What kind of computer do you have and what operating system does it run? (if you know the version and any applied service packs that would be helpful)
- If itís Windows, is it a 32bit or 64bit system?
- If it's a MAC is it Intel Based or a Power PC?
I did instructions 1 to 5.
But before that, I make sure that the Kobo Desktop is synced with my Kobo Glo (as a backup) and I did recopy the memory of the Glo to my PC (for last resort because I don't trust the way Kobo Team does the update)
On a very very very unfortunate event, the Kobo Glo was wiped (I expected this since it's restoring). Then suddenly the Kobo Desktop automatically synced with the device. A Rakuten prompt asked to input my Email and Password so I did. Then, everything is gone.
To Mr. SameerH, the Kobo product manager
If you want to treat regarding sideloading, then make sure your team can create a centralized update. Also, make sure that your database is write protected. If an email is used for a particular device, it should be restricted for that device or the data contained on that email should never be tampered. Although you have a sync feature for Kobo, but due to this incident, it is a pretty stupid feature you put right there.
Sincerely in a bad mood,