View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, hyperbole, exaggeration, superlatives and other magnified ways to convey meaning are common in literature.
If you must question "beyond words" then you must question:

- Are you mad ? (as in are you serious)
Of course not, If I were mad I would not be there talking to you, I'd be in a mental institution.

- You're killing me ! (as in you're so funny or you're one of a kind)
If I were killing you, I'd be your enemy and I would be dangerous instead of simply being funny or odd to you

- For the millionth time, I did not tell him you were here !
If you had told me for the millionth time, we'd actually have to be very old, not sure a lifetime would be enough to hear the same thing an actual million times. Beside no one could actually take it to hear the same thing a million times and no one could possibly need to hear it that much ...

So in conclusion, exaggerations of all kinds are part of literature and provided they are harmoniously used and fitting to the situation, I believe they are a natural part of the the art.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote