View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zora View Post
When I first got the iPod, I couldn't figure out how to load books onto it. Someone at Distributed Proofreaders said to use Dropbox, which was working OK until I decided to move my entire library to Dropbox. That was suggested by an article at Teleread. I added four levels of file structure, which I am guessing what might be causing the problems loading files. (The levels would be something like Fiction - SFF - Bujold - Spirit Ring.) But I need those levels to chose among thousands of books.

I have a USB cable to iPod connector, but I thought that was just for recharging. I just now hooked it up and I cannot figure out how I am supposed to load directly onto the iPod.

The iPod has an iTunes icon, but that just connects me to the online store. I am not storing music on the iPod; it's just for books. I have a fair bit of music in my PC iTunes folder and I don't want it on the iPod. I originally synced the iPod and iTunes and then decided to erase the music and stop the syncing. The music took up space that I could use for books. If you tell me that there's a way to use iTunes to add books, I would have to make a choice between keeping books or music in my iTunes folder on the PC.
Zora:

I'm sorry, I'd like to help you, but...there just seems to be a lot of very peculiar things going on. You should have no trouble whatsoever transferring files from your Dropbox to the Kindle app on your iPod, either directly OR with Calibre, yet you seem to be able to do neither. You should also be able to simply hook your iPod to your USB, then open iTunes and drag and drop the books onto the Kindle app (on iTunes on your computer) that should be displaying as being on your iPod, as an app registered to that device, under your account. You can add books without synching the device, simply by adding the books. You open the device in your iTunes account, go to the apps, then open the Kindle reader app, then drag and drop the books there.

I don't know how to say it better, and I think at this point, you need to be asking these questions over at the Apple store forums, because it sounds to me like there is something hinky with your iPod. I told you some posts back that there are at least 4 different ways that you should be able to transfer the files; I don't know why you cannot. You should be able to simply transfer the files by doing nothing more complicated than opening your Dropbox (app) on your iPod, and "opening" the Kindle book; you'll get a message telling you it cannot open it, and then you click the arrow to open it instead in Kindle for iPod. OR, use Calibre, which seems to not work for you either.

Have you tried to email one of the prc files to your Kindle account? At your Kindle email address, which I assume you have? And then tried to synch the Kindle reading app to your account, and pull the book in that way?

I'm really out of my depth here, because at least one of the alternatives I gave you should work fine with a Kindle account, non-DRM'ed .prc files and an iOS of whatever type. And, yes, having 4 levels of folders for Calibre is possibly bollixing it up, but I'm not a Calibre folder expert. You should ask about this over at the Calibre forums--they are far more accustomed to these Cloud questions than I or other mobi folk would be, particularly as this has nothing to do with mobis, per se, but is instead a Calibre--iPod transfer problem.

Sorry--I think you need to ask Apple, at this point, (or the Calibre gang) I really do.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote