View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
the9th
the9th began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
The Problem and a Question of Cases

I'm new here, this is my first post, so I'm just gonna jump right in with my experience.

The Problem:

I bought a Kobo Glo from Indigo/Chapters on February 27, 2013. Today, it had verticle lines of e-ink going down he screen. No matter how much I restarted, factory and regular, it stayed the same. I was extremely depressed after reading some accounts of how if it was a physical issue like a broken screen, the warranty was void. I'm a university student and I'm in the middle of writing a thesis, so I had moved all my books onto my Kobo as I do much of my reading on the go.

I called up Kobo and after a Kafkaesque experience going through their customer care phone system (complete with cryptic beeps and disconnections half-way through conversations, insufferable small-talk about the weather, and faulty email experiences), I finally gave up. They asked for a photo of the front and back of the device along with proof of purchase, etc etc. So I sent all of that, but then suddenly in a bout of anger I decided to walk down to Indigo and try my luck with an actual human being instead of a faceless, anonymous extension of a company- given there's not much of a difference most of the time. Ironically, this all happened the day after syncing Marx's Das Kapital.

So I walked into the store, and the woman at the front c/wouldn't do anything about it ("It's been over 14 days, I really can't do anything about it.") so I asked to see the manager- yes I was being that customer, but I was pretty peeved at this point and was not going to take no for an answer. Luckily the guy who came to help me was young and I managed to flirt with him a little and he replaced the device for me. Took a total of 5 minutes. I now have a new Kobo Glo and I am NOT about to go through this whole ordeal again. I am being extra careful.

I was lucky, but I might not be next time.

A Question of Cases:

I was using a soft pouch this entire time and I realize now that it is not enough. I need a hard case that goes around the entire device. While this is bulky, I realize its probably the only way to be extra careful about the device being bent or sat on.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are not many cases out there for the Glo, especially hard ones.
the9th is offline   Reply With Quote