Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
Regarding the multiple author stuff, can someone start a new thread for it and we can discuss it and come up with the best solution.
Here's the thread!
The question at hand is "What's the right way to represent multiple authors in the author field in Calibre?" (... although 'right way' might be better written as 'least bad way' given all the issues)
Here's my try at enumerating cases -- with the caveat that I am not trying to show anything about how they should be represented in Calibre or in the user-visible view; I'm only trying to list 'em!
- Single author, with or without titles, suffixes, epithets (e.g."The Great") and so on
- multiple unrelated authors (w or w/o titles... as before)
- Author (or multiple authors) along with editor who should be shown
- Author or authors plus translator
- Multiple related authors (e.g. Dr. George and Dr. Joan Smith)
- Author(s) and Illustrator
- Possibly arbitrary combinations of the above
I suggested that it might be worth asking a librarian if there is a standard for how to do this. Now that I think of it, I'll forward this post to a friend who is a Prof. of Library Science and see what she has to say.