View Single Post
Old 04-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #155
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 2,880
Karma: 4200035
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Device: Sony PRS-350, PB360, Kobo Glo/AuraHD/Aura6"/AuraH2O
@david,

Additional info. It looks like my above remaining problem with fw2.5.1 is even more niche than I thought.

If I have both of these conditions then I get some books not recognised by calibre after the 2nd connect:
- a plugboard containing series info
- epub tweaking between initial download and calibre disconnect
However, if I have one but not the other then there is no apparent problem (I didn't try with enough books to be 100% certain). My guess is that most people won't be doing both of the above. Do you have any insight into why these 2 conditions combined might create the 'undetected' problem? I would have thought that book matching used the book id rather than author/title metadata, but maybe not.

If I want both, I'm going to have to find a way to tweak the epubs before send-to-device. As you suggested, the neatest way would be for me to try something similar to jgoguen's device plugin clone. Whilst I have limited (very) Python skills that get me by, trying to unravel the depth and mysteries of calibre classes has never ended well before (akin to being in the middle of a labyrinth with no string attached ) Maybe I'll pluck up the courage to have another go.

I suppose I could also clone my on-device books to a separate calibre mini-library, do the tweaks there, then send-to-device. Easy enough to do initially, but an unwanted, dreary maintenance chore.

Finally, I tried all the earlier tests on my new Aura, with pristine, unsullied database. The results were all the same as before, so I'm not going to bother doing a factory reset of the Glo to see if that makes a difference.

Edit: Managed to cobble together a workaround. Not as elegant as a bespoke device driver but it'll do.

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-04-2013 at 04:07 PM. Reason: found workaround
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote